Protect your car battery from the summer heat
Did you know the warmer months are harsher on your car battery than colder months?
The air temperature and heat under the bonnet can lead to your car battery not performing at an optimal level.
Before enjoying your summer, take care of the car battery now. It’s better than being stranded on your way to the coolest ice-cream spot in town.
Easy tips to protect your car battery
One of the quickest ways to take better care of your car battery is to minimise sun exposure and park your vehicle in the shade.
A vehicle cover also helps keep your car cool, especially if you’re planning on not driving over the holiday period. Your vehicle not being used for a long period may not be ideal for your car battery, but don’t worry: here are a few extra tips on how you can prevent your car battery from taking a permanent vacay.
Make sure your vehicle goes the distance, by following these tips and keeping your battery going:
- Before the holiday season gets into full swing, take your car in for a service, or take your battery to a battery professional. A battery specialist will complete all the necessary inspections, including a battery, starter and alternator test.
- Check that the fan belt is working. A durable fan belt in good working condition helps charge the battery.
- Monitor the water levels of the battery, and if need be, top it up at a Battery Centre near you. If there’s not sufficient water, it can affect the lifespan and performance of the battery.
- Also, keep an eye on the coolant levels – you don’t want your car to overheat or malfunction because of a lack of coolant.
- If you have an older car, with removable filler caps fitted to the battery, consider upgrading to a newer model. With older batteries, the fluid can evaporate quickly, which could result in the vehicle overheating.
With cars becoming more sophisticated, it’s not recommended you replace the battery yourself. Call on a trusted battery specialist such as Battery Centre. They will test your battery for free to ensure you get the best performance out of your car battery and keep you going the extra mile.